Tuesday 22 December 2015

What's a Buddhist's typical day? [by anekspekted]

anekspekted asked:

I was never near a buddhist culture, so I would like to know what a typical day of buddhists are. And also, given that buddhists respect all living beings, I presume buddhists are vegan. Is that so? Thank you for answering, it means a lot to me.
It would be too general a statement to say that all Buddhists are vegan. I myself eat meat, although I try to limit it, purely because it was something I was brought up on and it’s not an easy thing to shake.
But it’s completely up to the individual person how rigidly they follow their Buddhist practises. You’ll find that some monks wear masks over their mouths to prevent them eating flies or small bugs accidentally. Is this a practise that most Buddhists follow? No chance. But does that mean those who don’t are evil for allowing these small bugs to die in such I way? I don’t think so, not personally.

As for the typical day of a Buddhist, again it is down to the individual. I’d say the majority try to incorporate a good portion of (generally) the morning or the evening to meditation and then whatever else they involve in their practise. Whether it be yoga, or something similar. Most Buddhists, especially western ones, will just apply Buddhist teachings to their normal, everyday lives.

As for monks, that’s a whole different kettle of fish.
Here’s a couple of links which show the average day for a Tibetan and Thai monk, which I found very interesting:

http://tibetansponsorship.org/sera-jey-monastry/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-monk/

http://www.thaiworldview.com/bouddha/bouddha3.htm
  I hope this has been of some help to you :)

~Avazen

No comments:

Post a Comment